The Subaru Levorg was one car I was excited to test drive earlier on this year but was disappointed in the fact while it shaped up like an awesome prospect on paper it live up to those heights in real life.
Well Subaru has just released details of the 2018 model year Levorg which looks have remedied some of the downsides I saw with the MY17 model
With slight changes on the outside Subaru are also introducing many changes on the inside as well with new technology and changes to the the suspension which offer both improvements in ride and handling.
There are big changes under the bonnet with the introduction of a 1.6L turbo engine that has not been seen on any Subaru in the country.
The Levorg will be available in 4 models with prices ranging from $35,990 for the entry level Levorg 1.6 GT up to $51,990 for the range topping Levorg 2.0 STI Sport. The only downside I can see is Subaru’s continued reliance on a CVT transmission which I thought was the biggest downside to the previous model. C’mon Subaru please use a proper auto or a DCT.
Massive thanks to Subaru for the info and pics I really look forward to driving this model and seeing what differences all the changes have made check out all the details below. To read my review of the previous model Levorg click here
Subaru Boosts Levorg Line-Up
Subaru is boosting its Model Year 2018 All-Wheel Drive Levorg line-up with the addition of turbocharged 1.6-litre variants to the wagon range, plus an STI Sport model at the head of the pack.
Significant changes include:
- Suspension enhancements to Bilstein-equipped mid- and range-topping models
- A new range-topping Levorg 2.0 STI Sport, with a suite of factory-fitted Subaru Tecnica International accessories and styling additions – including maroon leather-trim seats and the option of the signature WR Blue colour
- Australian debut of the turbocharged 1.6 litre engine in entry and mid-level Levorg – offering greater customer choice
- A totally revised Levorg line-up – starting with 1.6GT
- Revised front bumper and grille, with the 2.0 STI Sport featuring a frontal treatment unique to the variant
- Smart Rear View Mirror – new feature in Australia
- Auto Vehicle Hold (AVH) – another debut feature for Subaru – alleviates driver fatigue by holding the vehicle in position when stopped
- Front View Monitor – helps prevent collisions at intersections, or when parking close to walls or other objects
- Steering Responsive Headlights – dusk sensing
- Rain sensing front windscreen wipers
- Larger 5.9-inch LCD Multi-Function Display (increased from 4.3-inch)
- Newly developed brake pads in 2.0-litre variants – efficiency increased approximately 20%
- Introduction of 40/20/40 split folding rear seats
- New design 18-inch alloy wheels on mid- and range-topping variants
The reinvigorated Levorg range offers greater customer choice in both specification and pricing, with the entry-level 1.6 GT priced from $35,990 Manufacturer’s List Price*.
Subtle cosmetic changes to Levorg’s front add to its stylish road presence, aided by newly-designed LED headlights and higher quality LED fog lights.
Subaru Australia Managing Director, Colin Christie, said: “Levorg has opened up a whole new performance niche for Subaru since we launched just over a year ago.
“We can now see even greater opportunity with the addition of two 1.6-litre turbo variants that will make this fun, flexible wagon available to an even greater cross-section of customers.
“Equally, by adding the prestige of the STI badge to the range-topping 2.0 STI Sport, we’re catering to customer demand for something even more exclusive at the top of the range – so the freshened MY18 line-up represents a significant opportunity for us.”
As with the entire Subaru new car range, every Levorg has an independent five-star rating for occupant safety from the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).
NEW 1.6-LITRE TURBOCHARGED ENGINE
Entry-level Levorgs offer the 1.6-litre horizontally opposed four-cylinder Boxer engine, which has never previously been available on any Australian Subaru.
Producing 125 Kilowatts of power at 4,800-5,600 rpm and 250 Newtonmetres of torque at 1800-4800 rpm, the compact unit offers even greater fuel efficiency within the expanded Levorg range.
The direct injection engine features direct cylinder injection and a forced induction supercharger intake.
Each cylinder has a four-valve Double Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) valvetrain and Active Valve Control System (AVCS).
It consumes 7.4 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres in the combined cycle.
As with the 2.0-litre variants, it is mated to an efficient Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).
SMART REARVIEW MIRROR (SRM) – 1.6 GT Premium, 2.0 GT-S, 2.0 STI Sport
The SRM offers better rear visibility. Images of the area behind the car are taken by a camera mounted inside and above the rear gate glass, and displayed in the rearview mirror.
It is particularly effective when the standard rearview mirror provides poor visibility in fluctuating light conditions, such as evening or at night; or if passengers or cargo are obscuring the view.
Two modes are available:
- Mirror Mode is used as an ordinary mirror, without displaying images from the rear camera.
- Display Mode is used for displaying images from the rear camera.
SRM modes are activated using a switch at the bottom of the mirror.
FRONT VIEW MONITOR (FVM) 1.6 GT Premium, 2.0GT-S, 2.0 STI Sport
The FVM helps prevent collisions at intersections, or when parking close to walls or other objects.
Images from a camera mounted at the front of the vehicle can be shown on the Multi- Function Display, to check for approaching vehicles, or pedestrians, at intersections with poor visibility; or other scenarios.
It helps the driver check for blind spots in front of the car, which can help avoid accidents occurring at intersections.
The Bilstein front and rear suspension in Levorg 1.6 GT Premium, 2.0 GT-S and 2.0 STI Sport is enhanced from the superseded model year for smoother ride comfort, while retaining sporty capabilities.
Both the front and rear suspension configurations are changed for better flat ride comfort with minimal pitching.
The changes help absorb even the smallest bumps and subtle changes in the road
surface, for superior ride comfort.
The result is a more consistent, comfortable ride in all situations.
Front suspension changes:
- Front arm rubber bush plate
- Spring constant of coils
- Damping force
- Rebound length
Rear suspension changes:
- Spring constant of coils
- Damping force
- Rebound length
- Diameter of rear stabilizers
AUTO VEHICLE HOLD (AVH)
Another debut feature for Subaru, AVH alleviates driver fatigue by holding the vehicle in position, even when releasing the brake pedal when stopped.
This means drivers no longer have to keep their foot on the brake pedal in situations like traffic congestion, traffic lights or when stopped on hills.
Instead, Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) takes over, maintaining brake fluid pressure to keep the car in position.
STEERING RESPONSIVE HEADLIGHTS
Every Levorg now features, Steering Responsive Headlights, which operate with both high and low beam.
The headlight beams move to match steering input when turning corners, or at intersections – improving night-time visibility.
Headlight angle is calculated from steering angle and vehicle speed.
Newly developed brake pads in Levorg 2.0-litre variants are used with a high friction coefficient material.
This material improves brake efficiency by approximately 20% compared to the superseded pads – giving drivers control of immense braking power with minimal effort, to help improve braking performance.
LOAD CARRYING CONVENIENCE
A significant number of Levorg customers lead active lifestyles that involve skiing, surfing and other outdoor activities, so a greater number of seat configuration options are added to enhance rear seat and cargo space usability.
Levorg is Subaru’s first model with a 40/20/40 split-fold rear seat. The new layout is particularly suited to loading long items. Even with two passengers seated in the rear, the centre seat can be folded, enabling equipment such as skis to be positioned from the cargo space.
With three passengers and sizable cargo, the rear seat passenger can sit on either side of the car.
As an additional safety measure, the Levorg is also the first Subaru to use oil dampers within the seats, limiting the speed at which seats fold, to prevent users from trapping their fingers.
The reclining function and one-touch folding function are retained too.
The centre seat is designed so there is no step to the cargo space when folded down.
MULTI-FUNCTION DISPLAY (MFD)
The larger 5.9-inch MFD located in the centre dashboard offers a wide variety of information including:
- Seatbelt warning for passengers
- Automatic air conditioning operation status
- Calendar, fuel economy screen, eco assessment screen, preventative safety, clock and outside temperature, self-check etc.
The display can be switched and various settings changed from both front passenger and driver’s seats.
- Crystal White Pearl
- Ice Silver Metallic
- Dark Grey Metallic
- Crystal Black Silica
- Pure Red
- Storm Grey Metallic – new
- Lapis Blue Pearl
- WR Blue – 2.0 STI Sport-only
LEVORG MY18 SPECIFICATIONS AT A GLANCE:
LEVORG 1.6 GT
- ABS anti-lock brakes with four-wheel discs and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Automatic Vehicle Hold
- Brake Assist
- Child seat anchor points
- Curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Dual front airbags
- Dual side airbags
- Dusk sensing LED steering responsive headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
- EyeSight® Driver Assist System featuring:
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane departure warning
- Lane sway warning
- Lead vehicle start alert
- Pre-collision braking system
- Pre-collision brake assist
- Pre-collision throttle management
- Pre-collision steering assist
- Brake light recognition
- Lane Keep Assist
- Fog lights – front and rear
- Four wheel disc brakes (ventilated)
- Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters
- Front adjustable seatbelt anchorage
- Rear door child lock
- Rear seatbelts with pretensioners
- Reverse camera
- Seatbelt indicator lights
- Side intrusion bars
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Three-point A/ELR rear seatbelts
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (electronic stability control system)
- Welcome lighting
- 6.2-inch touch screen AM/FM radio, single in-dash CD, six speakers
- AUX jack +USB port
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- Bottle holders in each door + two cup holders in centre console and rear
- Cargo area light
- Central locking – remote
- Climate control air conditioning – dual zone
- Cloth trim
- Driver’s footrest
- Height and reach adjustable steering column
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Immobiliser security system
- Leather trim steering wheel with audio controls; leather gearshift
- Map lights (2)
- Multi-Function Display (MFD) – 5.9 inches
- Power steering, mirrors and windows
- Privacy glass – rear
- Push button start with smart key
- Electroluminescent instrument cluster with Multi-Information Display
- Seatback pockets
- Subaru-branded front door sill panel
- Two remote central locking keys
- USB charger ports for rear passengers
- Vanity mirrors – illuminated
- 40/20/40 split/fold rear seat
- 12V/120W power jacks
- Double locking system
- Electronic folding mirrors
- Headlights auto off
- Heated door mirrors
- Rear diffuser
- Rear cargo door spoiler
- Rear LED brake lights
- Rear roof mounted colour-coded shark fin radio antenna
- Self-levelling automatic LED headlights with pop-up washers
- Tail pipe covers
- 17-inch alloy wheels – space saver spare
- Auto lights and wipers
- Auto Stop Start
- DataDot security technology
- Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- One-touch indicators
- Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive)
- 12-months Roadside Assist
- Three-year unlimited kilometre warranty
- 1.6 litre turbocharged engine. 125 kW/4800-5600 rpm, 250 Nm/1800-4800 rpm
LEVORG 1.6 GT PREMIUM ADDS:
- Bilstein suspension
- Black accents in headlights
- Electric lumbar support (driver)
- Electric sunroof
- Front windscreen de-icer
- Heated front seats
- Leather trim with blue stitching
- Power driver’s seat with dual memory function – 10-way adjustable, including lumbar
- Factory fitted satellite navigation – 7.0-inch screen
- Rear view mirror with auto glare function
- Silver coloured mirrors
- Smart Rearview Mirror
- Sports front seats
- Vision Assist Features
- Side View Monitor
- Blind Spot Detection
- Lane Change Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alerts
- High Beam Assist
- Front View Camera
- 18-inch alloy wheels with gray accents – space saver spare
- 2 x USB in lower centre dashboard
LEVORG 2.0 GT-S ADDS (does not include Auto Stop Start):
- Sport # mode
- 2.0 litre turbocharged engine. 197 kW/5600 rpm, 350 Nm/2400-5200 rpm
- Black accents in wheels
LEVORG 2.0 STI SPORT (adds to 2.0 GT-S specification):
- Exclusive maroon leather trimmed seats
- Front bumper and grille unique to variant
- Red stitching
- STI exhaust tips
- STI instrument cluster logo
- STI side sill plates
- STI steering wheel logo
- STI tuned suspension
- STI 18-inch alloy wheels
- WR Blue colour option unique to variant
LEVORG MY 18 MANUFACTURER’S LIST PRICING*
|Levorg 1.6 GT||$35,990|
|Levorg 1.6 GT Premium||$42,890|
|Levorg 2.0 GT-S||$49,140|
|Levorg 2.0 STI Sport||$51,990|
*Prices are Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited’s Manufacturer’s List Prices only and include GST on the list price but exclude dealer delivery charges and all other government and statutory charges. For the drive away price of Subaru vehicles consumers should be advised to contact their local authorised Subaru dealer.
LEVORG MY18 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
Horizontally opposed, turbocharged petrol
Horizontally opposed, turbocharged petrol
TRANSMISSION – SPORT CVT
|D Range (Lineartronic)||3.581-0.570||3.505-0.544|
|First||3.560||3.505 (S#: 3.505)|
|Second||2.255||2.238 (S#: 2.405)|
|Third||1.655||1.641 (S#: 1.855)|
|Fourth||1.201||1.194 (S#: 1.544)|
|Fifth||0.887||0.880 (S#: 1.258)|
|Sixth||0.616||0.611 (S#: 1.032)|
EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
|Overall length mm||4690|
|Overall width mm||1780|
|Overall height mm||1.6GT: 1485. Others: 1490|
|Track – front mm||1530|
|Track – rear mm||1540|
|Min. ground clearance mm||1.6GT: 130. Others: 135|
|Tare mass kg||1539-1591|
|Fuel consumption (L/100km) combined||7.4||8.7|
|Fuel tank capacity||60 litres|
|Minimum fuel requirement||95 RON|
STEERING, BRAKES, TYRES & TOWING
|Steering||Electric speed sensitive power assisted rack and pinion|
|Turning circle (metres)||10.8 kerb-to-kerb|
|Turning radius||5.4 kerb-to-kerb|
|1.6 GT||ALL OTHERS|
|MacPherson strut, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabiliser bar
Double wishbone, coil springs, stabiliser bar
Bilstein® MacPherson strut, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabiliser bar
Front & rear
|Vacuum assisted ventilated discs||Vacuum assisted ventilated discs|
|Tyres||Dunlop 215/50R17 91V||Dunlop 225/45R18 91 W|
|Rim||17 x 7 J alloy||18 x 7.5 J alloy|
|Towing capacity (kg)
With/without trailer brakes
800 / 750
2.0 GT-S: 1500 / 750