Ford Ranger FX4 Special Edition To Return For MY2020 With Distinctive Identity, Choice Of Powertrains For The First Time, With Higher Equipment Levels And Updates
- The return of the Ranger FX4 to the line-up brings customers a unique 4×4 Ranger that combines upgrades with greater enhancement and individualisation for a more striking, instantly identifiable special edition model
- New Ranger FX4 features include a unique Ebony Black finish mesh grille, darkened Bi-LED High Performance Lighting System, exclusive 18-inch mesh alloy wheels and FX4-specific extended sports bar for greater visual presence
- Specific FX4 leather-accented seating sees Race Red stitching that’s also used on the FX4’s steering wheel, gear selector and padded, premium soft-touch instrument panel, providing an impactful contrast with the cabin’s darker interior finishes
- A five-year/unlimited kilometre factory warranty is part of Ranger FX4’s Ford Service Benefits, which includes Service Loan Car Program, Service Price Promise and SYNC 3 sat-nav mapping updates to eligible customers at participating dealerships
Melbourne, 22 August, 2019 – Ford announced today that the Ford Ranger FX4 special edition will be offered as part of the Ford Ranger line-up in Australia. Based on the volume-selling, highly equipped Ranger XLT dual-cab 4×4, the return of the FX4 nameplate brings with it an even more distinctive identity and offering, with unique design elements inside and out for a fresh take on Ranger’s renowned versatility.
“The addition of the new Ranger FX4 to our line up really steps things up for customers,” said Ford Australia and New Zealand President and CEO, Kay Hart. “The upgraded Ranger FX4 brings all the capability of the XLT, including standard AEB with Pedestrian Detection[ i], and adds its very own design elements and features, to offer Ranger customers even more choice.”
The Ranger FX4 sits between the Ranger XLT 4×4 and highly equipped Ranger Wildtrak 4×4 models, giving customers greater choice with a package that offers the capability and dependability for which Ranger is known. The Ranger FX4 special edition will initially be limited to around 1,000 units and arrives in showrooms this December.
In addition to a five-year, unlimited kilometre full factory warranty, the Ford Service Benefits program is designed to keep your Ranger FX4 on the road longer, at participating Ford dealerships. With long 15,000km/12-month service intervals, A and B log-book services for the first four years/60,000km are set at a maximum of $299 per service1.
Further adding to the ownership experience, Ford Service Benefits also bring Ranger FX4 owners Auto Club Membership including Roadside Assistance, as well as a Service Loan Car and SYNC 3 sat-nav mapping updates where available.
Ranger FX4: The FX4 with more
The Ranger FX4 brings a host of new – and unique – features to the Ranger customer, which are immediately apparent from first glance. Available exclusively in the versatile double-cab pick-up 4×4 body style, the Ranger FX4 has a unique front mesh grille, finished in Ebony Black, flanked by darkened versions of the Bi-LED High Performance Headlights introduced for Ranger XLT, Wildtrak and Ranger Raptor. The front-end view also brings an Ebony Black lower valence and mirror caps to create a strong FX4 identity.
New FX4 specific 18-inch alloy wheels, an inch larger than the Ranger XLT’s 17-inch alloys, continue the black detailing, with black DLO, door handles and front guard fender feature contrasting the striking red ‘FX4’ lower front door and tailgate decals, all with a 3D effect.
Completing the look, the FX4’s tray hosts a protective bedliner and an extended black-finish sports bar, adding a stand-out visual attribute to the Ranger FX4’s load area.
The extensive black treatment applied to the outside is designed to impress with the five exterior colour choices for Ranger FX4, which consist of Shadow Black, Arctic White, True Red, Meteor Grey and Aluminium Metallic.
To summarise the Ranger FX4 exterior enhancements:
- Darkened Bi-LED High Performance headlights
- FX4 mesh front grille in Ebony Black finish
- 18-inch FX4 alloy wheels
- 3D effect FX4 front door decal in distinctive red
- 3D effect FX4 tailgate decal
- Black-finished FX4 extended sports bar
- Ebony Black exterior mirrors, door/tailgate handles and fender features
Ranger FX4 interior: distinctive upgrades
The Ranger FX4’s cabin hits the right notes with specific FX4 front seating. The sports bucket seats are leather-accented with a special pattern design, and are embossed with striking red FX4 logos on the seatbacks.
These compliment the contrasting Race Red stitching that’s been applied to the gear selector, handbrake cover and the Ranger FX4’s steering wheel, door trim and special FX4-branded floor mats.
Bolstering the overall effect is the Ranger FX4’s premium black ‘soft top’ instrument panel, inspired by Ranger Wildtrak, while the door tops are finished in Tinted Graphite to further bring out the Race Red detailing throughout the cabin.
Specific interior treatments for the Ranger FX4:
- FX4-designed front-row leather-accented seating with contrasting Race Red stitching and embossed FX4 logos
- Leather-appointed second-row seating with FX4 Race Red stitching detail
- FX4 carpet mats in both front and second rows
- Premium soft-touch instrument panel top
- Tinted Graphite accents on instrument panel and door trim
- Race Red contrasting stitching on instrument panel, steering wheel, gear selector, centre console
In addition to the FX4-specific appointments, the Ranger FX4 brings standard cabin features including SYNC 3 with voice-activated sat-nav, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto2 smartphone compatibility, a full-colour reversing camera and digital instrumentation.
Driver Assist Technology standard on Ranger FX4 includes Autonomous Emergency Braking, AEB with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keeping Aid (LKA) with Lane Departure Warning and Driver Alert, Traffic Sign Recognition and Automatic High-beam headlights. For drivers who want even more technology, the Ranger XLT’s optional Tech Pack can also be chosen for Ranger FX4, bringing Adaptive Cruise Control and Semi-Auto Parallel Parking.
The Adaptive Cruise Control reduces driver work load by maintaining a pre-set distance to the vehicle ahead. The Tech Pack’s Active Park Assist is a segment first. This advanced system takes account of the dimensions of the vehicle, and helps ease the burden of parking. The driver needs only to apply the throttle and brakes, as the system steers the Ranger into the parking space.
The current Ford Ranger line-up has been rated at five-stars by the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).
Under the bonnet: power with precision
The Ranger FX4 will be available with a choice of powertrains. For the first time, Ranger FX4 is offered with the latest generation Bi-Turbo, 10-speed powertrain as well as the proven 3.2L turbodiesel offered previously.
With 157kW/500Nm, the Bi-Turbo powertrain was first introduced on the Ford Performance Ranger Raptor – 4×4 Australia’s 2019 4×4 of the Year – and is fitted with the specifically tuned, new generation 10-speed paddle shift automatic. The 10-speed automatic includes a lock-out feature to hold specific gears when towing, giving the Ranger FX4 a towing capacity of 3,500kg3 and 993kg payload. In addition to the highly capable towing, the Bi-Turbo brings a fuel efficiency figure of 7.4L/100km, showing the depth of its capabilities.
Also on offer for the Ranger FX4, the proven 3.2L, five-cylinder common rail turbodiesel is available with a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic. In this guise, the FX4 has a payload of 978/960kg (Man/Auto) and a towing capacity of 3,500kgiii . Fuel economy is an impressive 8.4L/100km (Man), showing strength and efficiency.
The Ranger FX4 special edition will be available alongside the full Ford Ranger line-up in Ford Dealerships from December 2019.